Lately, I’ve been all about ink blending backgrounds. I’m loving all of the various color combinations that can be made Ranger Distress Oxide Inks. This fun “Heard you were pregnant” baby shower card was a design that I made for a friend of mine. I loved how it turned out, so I wanted to show you how I did it. I adore everything about this card, From the water splashes on the distressed background to the little baby booties hanging from the banner.
If you enjoy this card as much as I enjoyed making it, stick around! I also listed all the materials I use to make the card and links to where you can find those materials as well. You can also check out more distress oxide ink tutorials here.
This blog may use affiliate links when they’re available. If you choose to purchase through one of these links, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. I don’t make recommendations lightly, and will only link to products I know and trust.
- Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine [Amazon] [Cricut]
- Cricut Adhesive Cutting Mat, Standard Grip [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com] [Cricut]
- Cricut Basic Tool Set [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com] [Cricut]
- Cricut Ultimate Fine Point Pen Set, 30 Pack [Amazon] [Cricut]
- EK Tools EK Scoring Board 12×12 [Amazon]
- Feather No.55 Switch-Blade Shear, 5.5 Inch [Amazon]
- Fiskars Recycled Bypass Trimmer, 12 Inch [Amazon]
- Trim Slant Tip Tweezers [Amazon]
- Ranger Ink – Tim Holtz – Mini Ink Blending Tool – Round [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com]
- Ranger Ink – Tim Holtz – Mini Ink Blending Tool Replacement Foams – Round [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com]
- Ranger Ink – Tim Holtz – Distress Oxides Ink Pad – Spun Sugar [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com]
- Ranger Ink – Tim Holtz – Distress Oxides Ink Pad – Tumbled Glass [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com]
- Ranger Ink – Tim Holtz – Distress Oxides Ink Pad – Shaded Lilac [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com]
- Recollections Cardstock Paper, Essentials 20 Colors [Amazon]
- Neenah Solar White Cardstock [Amazon] [Scrapbook.com]
- Tombow MONO Aqua Liquid Glue [Amazon]
- Scrapbook Adhesives Initially Repositionable Mounting Squares [Amazon]
- Forever In Time 3D Pop Dots Square Dual-Adhesive Foam Mount, 1/4-Inch [Amazon]
Cricut Images Used:
- Banner (Bits and Pieces Cartridge)
- Basic Square
- Clouds Background and Overlay (Miss Kate Cuttables – The Great Outdoors)
- Be Happy Font
View the exact specifications of this project in the Cricut Design Space.
Ranger Distress Oxide Ink Blending Tutorial:
Step 1. Create a background using the ink blending technique.
I made this baby shower card by first choosing the distressed oxide ink colors that I wanted to use and blending them on the sheet of Neenah Solar White cardstock that was about 5.25 inches tall and 4 inches wide. Starting at the top of the card, I filled in about a third of the cardstock with Tumbled Glass Distress Oxide ink.
Next, I grabbed my Shaded Lilac ink and started filling in the middle portion of the paper. Whenever I’m ink blending, I always start from the outside of the paper and work my way in to avoid any harsh lines. When blending the tumbled glass and the shaded lilac, I alternated between colors and slowly blended them towards each other until it looked like a nice clean blend.
I then repeated the same steps with Spun Sugar ink at the bottom of the cardstock. Once I was done with my distress oxide inks, I dipped a paintbrush into a bit of water and splatter the water onto my background. The distress ink reacted to the water making cute little splotches all over the background!
Step 2. Cut out the clouds and banner using with a Cricut machine
A while back, I had created a rough template of what I wanted this card to look like in the Cricut Design Space. You can view that template here. I used that template and following the Cricut Explore Air 2 machine cutting instructions, I created the cloud pattern and the written banner for this card.
Tip: If you need some help getting acclimated to your Cricut machine, check out this super helpful article on how to master your Cricut machine.
Step 3. Stamp, color, and cut out an adorable pair of booties.
I wanted more than just clouds on this baby shower card design. So, I stamped a pair of baby booties onto a sheet of Neenah Solar White cardstock and colored them with some pastel pink and gray colored pencils. I didn’t have a die to match this stamp so when I was done coloring I simply cut carefully around the edges of the design.
Step 4. Apply the clouds and banner to the card.
Once the banner and the clouds were cut I could start putting the card together. I put the ink blended background on an a2 sized card base that I had cut out of some Recollections paper that I had gotten from Michaels. I applied the clouds to the card base using some Tombow MONO Aqua liquid glue. Then I applied the banner using some Forever In Time 3D foam squares. Lastly, I shredded the baker’s twine through the banner and stuck ends to the baby booties.
If you’re a fellow card maker, I hope this tutorial inspires you to try some new techniques of your own! If you try something new, leave a comment below! I would love to hear about it! You can also check out One Paper Street on social media. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest for the latest updates!